Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A Weeki Wachee Holiday--Thing #16

Trouble with aging is that your long-term memory really kicks in, and now I find it impossible to think of a wiki without thinking of that kitchy spot in Florida with the mermaids. I never actually went there but I used to see clips of it on tv and it seemed soooooo cool.

But back to the wiki at hand. I, like the rest of the Western World, am familiar with Wikipedia. I even use it from time to time when I want some quick background information (as in, Who the heck is so-and-so?). I agree with the collaborative benefits, and think the Library Instruction Wiki and the ALA New Orleans 2006 Wiki are perfect examples of wikis that work. However, I would never dream of citing Wikipedia as an authoritative source because it simply isn't one. User-directed can be overdone; think of where democracy has gotten us, administration-wise.

No comments: